Master’s Degrees | Sport Analytics
Online Master of Science in Sport Analytics
As a long-time fan, you know how dynamic the sports industry can be. Team performance peaks and wanes, promising recruits end up on the bench or get traded, and predicted game attendance falls below expectations, leading to blackouts.
The rise of predictive analytics and big data are gradually shaping several industries, from how decisions are made to identifying potential outcomes. Sports is no exception. With global demand steadily rising, entities from professional and college teams to media organizations to ticket sales have started harnessing the power and possibilities of data analytics and applied statistics. The University of Mississippi recognizes this trend and launched the fully Online Master of Science in Sport Analytics.
MSSA Program Info
Designed to be completed in one year, this 30 credit-hour program helps you build a foundation in measurement, evaluation, database management, applied statistics, and data interpretation and visualization. You’ll then specialize your knowledge through a choice of two emphasis areas examining different sides of the sports industry — Sport Performance or Sport Business.
All courses are structured around an eight-week accelerated format. Ole Miss Online offers rolling admission with five (5) academic start dates per year.
January, March, May, August, October
Sport Business | Sport Performance
Why Earn a Master’s in Sport Analytics?
By their nature, sports appear unpredictable. Season performance hinges on how well players train and collaborate. This, along with local market trends, ultimately dictates game attendance. In between, online chatter can shape attitudes.
As a discipline, data science attempts to identify trends among the growing amount of structured and unstructured information available. Professionals use key tools and techniques like predictive analytics, statistical modeling, data acquisition, and machine learning to synthesize and draw insights from these forms. These points have potential to inform key decisions, illuminate seasonal trends, and better serve fans to increase game attendance.
Students enrolled in the online MS in Sport Analytics program:
Online Master’s in Sport Analytics Curriculum
The Online Master in Sport Analytics involves 30 credit hours that students can complete through a year of full-time study or part time within two years. The program consists of 21 credit hours of core courses covering essential data analytics competencies and nine credit hours of an emphasis area.
provide insight into the following:
- Descriptive and inferential statistics, correlation, and regression
- Measuring, evaluating, and interpreting data for the purpose of making decisions
- Designing tests to conduct evidence-based assessments
- Translating data into graphs and other visualizations to communicate your findings to various audiences
- Predictive analytics and applied statistics in sports
- Industry-specific applications of analytical methods, R language, data mining, machine learning, and visualizations
Students can tailor their degree to their careers and have the option to choose between two emphases—or complete both.
- Sport Business: Orchestrate campaigns, predict ticket sales, and monitor fan and regional response through applications focusing on sports marketing and finance. Learn more about the Sport Business emphasis.
- Sport Performance: Track training, reduce injuries, and improve strength and conditioning programs through targeted applications of measurement, statistical modeling, and big data. Learn more about the Sport Performance emphasis.
A 2020 report predicted 15.6% growth of data storage and management in the sports industry. Ole Miss Online nurtures your interest in both data and sports to help you access these opportunities. Based on your focus area, sport analytics becomes an asset in:
- Strength and conditioning
- Predicting human performance
- Sports news and media
- Sports betting
- Professional and collegiate team management
Ole Miss Online empowers your curiosity through a hands-on program introducing you to essential data analysis techniques and sports-specific applications. We offer rolling admission with five (5) academic start dates per year (January, March, May, August, October).
Build Your Future with an Online MS in Sport Analytics from Ole Miss
Don’t just dream of a rewarding career: Take the steps, and gain experience to get there with the Ole Miss Online Master of Science in Sport Analytics.
For questions about the program, contact Graduate Enrollment Manager Megan Black at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment to talk more about the program, your interests and needs, and your future.